Wikipedia defines instrumentation as "a collective term for measuring instruments used for indicating, measuring and recording physical quantities." This is basically the gist of it. Obviously one can go much more into depth with this, but for the sake of simplicity, I'll cover some of the basics.
If you're like me, you were/are probably under the assumption that instrumentation technology is exclusive to areas such as mine sites, power plants, or factories. While much more elaborate and complicated instrumentation systems are used in these settings, simple instrumentation is found in your home. Take a look at your thermostat; this is a great example of a temperature controlling instrument. The unit senses the temperature inside your home using a bi-metallic strip. A needle on one end of this strip rotates with a change in temperature, thus creating a shift in the mercury switch. The mercury creates contact between two electrodes and this activates the furnace. Now think of your vehicle; this has numerous examples. Whether it is the temperature of the engine, the level of antifreeze, or the pressure in your tires, all modern vehicles use the interaction of a sensing element and the transmission of a signal to give you feedback on your vehicle's condition and needs. So instrumentation, at its most basic, is simply a collection of devices that measure, record, and control temperature, pressure, flow, level, weight, and several other physical quantities. It's a lot more prevalent than what most people think.
So what does this mean for the average person? To you, it may mean simple convenience. To me, it means a career and an opportunity to challenge myself on a daily basis. Technology is continually advancing, so the demand for individuals who are willing to study and prepare for the duties in the field of instrumentation increases with it. Today's society is incredibly fast paced and the need for vehicles, medical equipment, food, entertainment, and many other necessities has only increased as well. This higher demand requires a faster and safer approach to production. Integrating instrumentation into a process to make it automatic is that approach. There is certainly no doubt in anyone's mind that this type of advancement is not going away, but rather, will only expand. Instrumentation technology has benefitted so many directly or indirectly, and it will continue to do so in the near future.
A very well explained introduction to your career field Marcos.
ReplyDeleteHi Marcos,
ReplyDeleteA very nice introduction to your field. Honestly, instrumentation technology was a completely new topic to me and I thank you for explaining its scope and areas that can be benefited from it.
Marcos,
ReplyDeleteThe instrumentation degree is definitely a good investment, if I knew a few years ago what I know now, I would have attempted it as my major, but I am almost done, so I don't see the need to start over. With your degree you can work not only in the mines, but also in a mill or lab, this degree is not limited to working for only Newmont or Barrick but you are going to have a lot of options after graduation. Salaries for electrical and instrumentation technicians range from $41,040 to $56,290, making it a higher than average income in a very diverse and rewarding career field.
Hello Marcos,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting post. I am pretty familiar with the title "Instrumentation Tech" as well as I&E Tech's. I am a recruiter in Houston Texas and place these types of positions all the time for the oil and gas refineries and plastics plants. I know we are in shortage of these type of workers here and these jobs pay very well $30-$40hr plus overtime. Good career choice!
Hi Marcos, before this post I truly had no idea what instrumentation was but you did a great job explaining you field.
ReplyDeleteMarcos,
ReplyDeleteMuch like many words there are all sorts of definitions. I am really glad that you pointed out that not all instruments are design to carry a melody. Instruments are the tools used to get a job done. My instrument is my computer which wouldn't have been developed without instrumentation technicians wouldn't exist as it is today.